20 th March 2018. Research projects during the expedition s/y Katharsis II
around Antarctic continent south of the 60th parallel
Apart from the new sailing world record, the Katharsis II voyage has supported research on the Southern Ocean’s environment. All research are conducted in co-operation with the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Aboard the Katharsis II, the Institute is represented by professor Piotr Kukliński.
Katharsis II participates in the ARGO ARGO international scientific programme. The aim of the programme is to research changes to global oceans which focuses on global measurements of salinity and water temperature with the use of specialist profiling floats. During the cruise three such autonomous appliances within the MOCCA EU project (Monitoring the Oceans and Climate Change with Argo), were deployed.
More information on the expedition Katharsis II
14th March 2018, IO PAN
We were invited to the presentation of dr Karoline Hammer on "EFFECT OF ORGANIC COMPOUNDS ON THE ACID-BASE SYSTEM OF THE BALTIC SEA". Dr Karoline Hammer is a specialist in marine chemistry, she conducts research on the role of organic matter in functioning an acid-base system in the coastal zone of the southern Baltic. She is on her 3 month post-doctoral internship at the IO PAN.
More info on the lecturer and his research interest.
26th January 2018, IO PAN
- The guest of the Institute was Dr. Luca Ferrero from the University of Milan, who gave a lecture on "Vertical profiles of aerosols from mid-latitudes to the North Pole". Dr Ferrero cooperates with scientists from the Air-Sea Interaction Laboratory of the IO PAN.
18th January 2018, IO PAN, Sopot
We were invited to the presentation of dr Joan Joseph Soto Angel on "New findings on hydrozoan science: selected cases from the Antarctic and Red Sea". Dr Soto Angel is on his 6 month post-doctoral internship at the IO PAN.
More info on the lecturer and his research interest.
18 December 2017, PAN, Warsaw. Announcement – Appointment of New Director.
- The President of the Polish Academy of Sciences has appointed prof. dr hab. Jan Marcin Węsławski as the Director of the Institute of Oceanology for a period of 4 years (from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2021).
7th December 2017, PAN, Warsaw
It is with our great pleasure to announce that prof Stramski from the California Scripps Institutution of Oceanography became the Foreign Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences, according to the Academy's General Assembly decission on 7th December, 2017. Dariusz Stramski is a professor of oceanography in the Marine Physical Laboratory division at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego. His research interests are in the areas of ocean optics, optical remote sensing of the ocean, and applications of optical methods in oceanography. His scientific career has started in the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot. He received a Polish degree of habilitation in oceanography in 2002 and a title of Professor in Earth Sciences presented by the President of Poland in 2014. He has been collaborated with our Institute for years, especially with the Marine Physics Department and Physical Oceanography Department.
OUR SINCERE CONGRATULATIONS! Dariusz Stramski
December 7th, Słupsk Channel
- It is just a month from the moment when the research vessel of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences, r/v Oceania deployed an oceanographic research buoy on the Słupsk Channel. Buoy is part of the EuroArgo infrastructure built by IO PAN as part of the Argo Poland program. Obtaining and equipping the buoy was possible thanks to cooperation with the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute and the University of Gdańsk. Buoy transmits oceanographic and meteorological data via satellite connectors. All data will be available on the website.
13-15 October, ARCTIC CIRCLE ASSEMBLY 2017, Reykjavik, Iceland
This year the program of the Arctic Circle Assembly 2017 included Polish Session "Poland and the Arctic", which was held on 15 October 2017. The Session organizers were: Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, Ministry of Foreign Affaires, Polish Polar Consortium, Centre for Polar Studies, Committee on Polar Research, Polish Academy of Sciences Speakeres form the Institute of Oceanology included: Dr. Agnieszka Beszczyńska-Moeller, on "Monitoring of Ocean, land and Climate Changes in the Warming Arctic" and Prof. Jan Marcin Węsławski, on "Environmental Aspects of the Melting Arctic".
More info: Programme of the Polish Sessions, 2017 Assembly, photos.
9th October 2017 New Academic Year 2017/2018
- The ceremony of opening the New Academic Year was held at the Institute's Postgraduation Studies. We had the good chance to welcome new seven freshmen students and traditionally listened presentations of two students (of the third year) on their research work achievements and progress in their Ph.D. dissertation. This year, within the new program of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, the project "Implementation Doctorate" (Doktorat Wdrożeniowy) for one student just began in our Studies.
29th September 2017, Władysławowo.
Promotional Conference for FindFISH Project was held in Władysławowo to present the main goal of the Project. Kowledge transfer platform FindFISH is to be the Numerical Forecasting System for the Marine Environment of Gulf of Gdansk for Fisheries to increase the profits of fishermen by commercializing the results of the research-implementation project. Project Partners: Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences as Leader, Maritime Institute in Gdańsk and Association of Fishermen’s of Sea in Władysławowo.
More info: FindFish, photos: gallery
11-13 September 2017 19th International Exhibition and Conferences BALTEXPO 2017
BALTEXPO is the biggest and the oldest event in Poland among economic events related to broadly understood maritime economy: shipbuilding industry and its related parties, ports and logistics associated to the use of the maritime and inland waterways transportation and the security of coasts, ports and navigation. This year the Institute will present our offer "OCEANIA – Floating laboratory of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences" stand no 2.24. Exibition is open within 11-13 September 2017 (10-17) Gdańsk, Poland AMBEREXPO ul.Żaglowa 11, 80-560 Gdańsk.
YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME VISIT US
More info photos
30th August 2017, 8.30 am Gdańsk.
- The Institute's reasearch vessel s/y OCEANIA returned home after her 31. Arctic expedition AREX 2017. The cruise lasted 78 days and was divided into five stages.
29th June 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
- The Institute of Oceanology signed the contract with the Baltic Trade and Invest Ltd. Słupsk to conduct research and develop the reports on environmental impacts of offshore wind power FEW Baltic II with associated infrastructure.
29th June 2017, IO PAN, Sopot
- The Physical Oceanography Department invites to an international seminar with a talk by Dr. Darek Bogucki of Texas A&T University. It will take place in the Big Room of the Institute on June 29th (Thursday) at 10:00 a.m. The talk is titled "Why the drifter-derived estimates of the dissipation rate at 100 m horizontal separations match surface measurements?".
14th June 2017, Gdańsk
- Very short after midnight the vessel started her Arctic cruise - AREX 2017, which is divided into 5 stages. Coordinator Scientist of the whole expedition is Assoc. Prof. Waldemar Walczowski. The vessel is expected back at Gdańsk on September 1st. Photos
12th June 2017, 1 pm at IO PAN,Sopo
The lecture of Dr Elzbieta M.Bitner-Gregersen from DNV GL Group technology and Research (Hoevik,Norway) on Atmosphere-surface wave system and formation mechanisms of abnormal waves (in Polish)
Invitation (in Polish), Abstract (in Polish)
27th May (Saturday) 10am-4pm. Sopot, Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu
- On Saturday, 27th May 2017, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the X Sopocki Dzień Nauki (10th Sopot Science Day) took place at the Plac Przyjaciół Sopotu, as part of the XIV Bałtycki Festiwal Nauki. Photos
26th May 2017, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot
IX International Sopot Youth Conference entitled Where the World is Heading.
6th April 2017, SCIENCE
- April 2017 - The Science Magazine published news (follow the link) about the First Release of scientific article ("Greater role for Atlantic inflows on sea-ice loss in the Eurasian Basin of the Arctic Ocean", DOI: 10.1126/science.aai8204) led by Igor V. Polyakov (IARC, UAF). Among many co-authors from around the world there is also Ilona Goszczko from Observational Oceanography Laboratory.