Welcome to the Institute of Oceanology!
The Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IO PAN) was founded in 1983 in place of the Marine Station in Sopot which had existed since 1953. Learn more about our history (in Polish)
The mission of the Institute of Oceanology PAN is to seek, understand, and communicate the scientific understanding of the marine environment and the issues related to its protection and sustainable use. IO PAN scientists and engineers achieve this by carrying out innovative, high-level scientific and technological research that further enhances our understanding of the environment, and provides expertise and new technologies which are then shared with the broader public and interested parties from the public and private sector. The Institute of Oceanology conducts scientific research in the Baltic Sea and in the seas of the European Arctic.
The Institute of Oceanology, as part of the Centre for Polar Studies, was awarded the title of a Leading National Research Centre (KNOW) in the field of Earth Sciences for the years 2014-2018 by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
||Knowledge transfer platform FindFish|
1. GEOPLANET DOCTORAL SCHOOL
2. INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL DOCTORAL SCHOOL (IEDS)
3. TRICITY DOCTORAL SCHOOL
Areas of Research:
- The role of the oceans in climate change and its effects on European seas
- The natural and anthropogenic variability of the Baltic Sea environment
- Contemporary changes in the coastal ecosystems of shelf seas
- Genetic and physiological mechanisms of the functioning of marine organisms; the basics of marine biotechnology
|ACCESS TO SATBAŁTYK SYSTEM|
COUPLED ECOSYSTEM |
MODEL OF THE